Skip to content

How We Spent the Day, and Why We’re Spent.

January 17, 2010

Yesterday was my mom’s birthday. because I had my company holiday party (which I planned and was perfect) last night- we couldn’t go to dayton on her actual birthday.

So, this morning we got ready, went to eat breakfast at Tasi. We had another gift card that is expiring on the 24th, so we had to use it. I had the Greek yogurt and Granola. WOW. Delicious. David had an almond croissant and a blueberry muffin. We both had coffee. Tasi is one of those places that is very small. You order at the counter, and then hope that there are seats available by the time your food comes. There are 3 big “family style” tables that you share with other parties, and a small handful of 2-seaters sprinkled around the cafe. The food is wonderful, the coffee is great, and the atmosphere is classy and homey at the same time. We haven’t been there for any other meal besides breakfast- but knowing the owners (They also own Rigsby’s) I imagine that the food would be fantastic.

We got into the car and got straight on the road to Dayton. My dad was making a birthday dinner for my mom. We were in charge of bringing a bottle of wine. I fell asleep in the car, which reminds me of a time warp or a time machine. {you are in one place, you close your eyes, you open them, and it’s an hour later and in a different season}. Right before we got to their house, we stopped at Dorothy Lane Market for wine and flowers. We picked out a giant bouquet of white lilies, tulips, and chrysanthemums. Beautiful. It ended up in a vase that I brought back from Venice.

My dad cooked dinner, and it was fantastic. He made Coq au Vin Blanq. With garlic mashed potatoes. and fennel salad. and wine. And spinach. It was delicious. We ate till we were bursting. Dessert was plated- chocolate gnache cake with Jeni’s Queen City Cayenne ice cream. more bursting.

After hanging out and chatting for awhile, we decided that it was time to hit the road. We had to visit David’s parents before we went back home. We went to a Caribou Coffee and caught up. After David was fully caffeinated, we hit the road. It was foggy, and dark. but we made it. We’re both exhausted. Driving to dayton ALWAYS wears us out. Now, we’re home- the cat is happy (she only bit me once so far) and we’re all ready for the alarm to startle us in the morning. That’s how we spent our day. And now we’re spent.

I hope you got to enjoy your sunday 🙂

2 Comments leave one →
  1. barefaced permalink
    January 18, 2010 12:06 pm

    Sounds like lots of driving but a beautiful day nonetheless!! 😀

  2. January 19, 2010 5:35 pm

    That sounds like a perfectly full, happy, delicious, warm-and-cozy-with-family day. I love to fall asleep in the car when Gregg is driving. It feels so safe and cocoon-like. Happy belated birthday to your mom!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: